Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Ups and Downs

Since the last time I wrote a blog, I have had my ups and downs. My ups would include that I have had some major flatmate bonding. I introduced them to a drinking game called waterfall and it ended up in a snowball fight inside our flat. I learned how to make Hungarian pancakes, which are called palachinkas. We also got WiFi in our flat so if you have an iPhone, feel free to text me :)
I have also had some downs, not necessarily bad experiences, but I am still adjusting to the cultural differences. For instance, all the offices I need to go to close at 12 p.m. I don't even get out of my class that early. Not only do they close early, the people that work there don't have to show up to work until they feel like it. For example, I needed to talk to the coordinator of my German class and I asked my professor when I could reach her. My professor said, "Mmmm... maybe 8 a.m. or 9 a.m. but definitely by 11 a.m." Also the banks here like to close for two hour breaks every day, I still don't understand that. I have worked in a bank for quite a while and the work load there definitely does not call for everyone to get two hours off... at the exact same time. Everything here is just very laid back and I am having a hard time adjusting. Also registering for courses has been a little stressful. It is not near as organized as OSU's system. I used to get really annoyed with some of OSU's documentation requirements and regulations, but because of this experience, I have learned to be extremely thankful for the organization and neatness.
Overall I am learning every day and trying to be as optimistic as possible when I run into obstacles  I don't know what would happen if I didn't have Matt telling me to keep pushing through the rough patches. I am very thankful for all his support along with my friends' and family's encouragement as well.

Until next time,

Aufwiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment